Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Mom's Pumpkin Pie

This recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember.  My grandmother always made the pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas and then one year, my Mom decided that she'd take over making pies.  While I lived with my grandparents and until Richard and I moved to North Alabama, I made the pies at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I hope that one day my kids will carry on this tradition.

Mom's Pumpkin Pie
(makes two pies)

1 can (29-oz.) Libby’s Solid Pack Pumpkin
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 ½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon allspice
2 12-oz. cans evaporated milk (I use Carnation brand)
2 9” unbaked piecrusts (I make mine from scratch using the Better Homes & Gardens recipe in the red & white cookbook.)

Heat pumpkin thoroughly in large saucepan (do not boil).  Remove from heat and add next 8 ingredients, mix thoroughly.  Pour into pie crusts. Cover pie crust edges with foil or pie crust ring to prevent burning.

Bake 15 minutes at 450*.  Reduce temperature to 350* and bake an additional 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.  Cool completely.

Makes two 9” pies

No comments:

Post a Comment