Monday, September 12, 2011

Skillet-Roasted Okra and Shrimp

Southern Living Magazine is my favorite magazine. I've been a subscriber for the better part of 20 years, essentially since we moved to North Alabama in 1990. It always has at least one recipe that I want to try and I'm almost never disappointed...we won't mention the Squash Soup I tried many years ago.

This month's issue doesn't disappoint.

I love shrimp, okra and tomatoes. So when I read the article, "Lowcountry Style," I knew I had to try at least one of the recipes using shrimp/okra/tomatoes. The only changes I'm going to make to this recipe the next time is to cut the okra into disks and use canned tomatoes.

Without further ado...

Skillet-Roasted Okra and Shrimp
recipe courtesy of Southern Living, September 2011

1 lb. unpeeled, large raw shrimp (31/35 count)
3 cups (about 8 oz.) fresh okra, cut in half lengthwise
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 pt. heirloom cherry tomatoes
3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper

1. Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.
2. Saute okra in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Cook tomatoes in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes or until skins are charred. Place in bowl with okra.
4. Saute shrimp, garlic and dried crushed red pepper in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil in skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in okra and tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Makes: 6 servings

I served this with rice as a main dish.

It was a big hit with my husband, so I'll be making it again.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment